Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Take Your Blues And Rock Sound Back To Great Vintage Tone With The New Marshall Handwired 1973 X Amp

I came across this little gem of an amp because I'm a subscriber to Guitar World which has all the latest skinny on the best players and guitar amps. This little amp really intrigued me because it was from an era in music when amps and players really knew how to create great rock and blues tones with simple amps and amp/guitar settings.

The Marshall 1973 X Amp is only 18 watts guys and is totally hand wired and loud enough for gigs. I get so many musicians saying these types of amps aren't loud enough for club gigs. You guys think you need 100 watt amps set to "11" on the dial. This is coming from a lot of older players.

I asked Dee Curtis my consultant here on the blog about this misconception about how loud players need to be onstage or in the studio, and he said you don't need even 50 watt amps on stage or in the studio. He said as long as you tweak your amp and guitar settings properly along with good mic placement--and a good sound man or recording engineer, you'll have plenty of power.

Please listen to Dee, because he knows what he's talking about, and you can view many "How To' articles from him on this site guys. I want you learn something from him. He creates massive value for both younger and older players!

Okay, in this demo Chris George from Marshall is demoing the Marshall 1973 X amp. As soon as I heard him on this amp it took me back to the 70's when sound was purer, had more warmth and natural tone.

Unfortunately so many of you want more processed sound.

The 1973 X has 2 channels. One with Volume and Tone, and another with volume/tone along with speed and intensity dials and a built in Valve Tremelo. If you work the Trem right and don't overuse it like an effects pedal, it can really add to your natural tone.

I'll let Chris demo it for you and see what you think. But I found when he used a certain setting it sounded very Zakk Wylde like with a crunchier and grittier sound that blended well with more hard rock and blues like settings. I personally think this is a great 2nd amp to use in a club and especially session work in the studio if you're looking for that 1970's rock and blues feel. I think this is a sweet sounding amp for the reasons I stated. And yes, I will be selling it. So, click on this short demo. I would have liked to have seen more settings for blues. This amp reminds of Claptons Bluesbreaker amp from the 60's for pure tone quality.

Thank you to the great people at Marshall for these types of combo amps and demos. So watch the demo then head on over to http://www.marshallamps.com/product/amplifier/handwired-series/1973x/ for more info. So click the demo and then grab one of these Marshall 1973 X Combo amps.


No comments: