Wednesday, September 3, 2014

William Baeck--UK Based Player Gives The Skinny On Why Vintage Guitars Aren't Necessarily Giving You The Best Tone---And Why A Good Amp Rig means Everything



Bill

I came across Bill Baeck while scrounging around on the Guitar World blog section.There are some great musicians  I've come across and interviewed. Bill has an article on why you may be held hostage by your vintage guitar. I think this interview will give you insight on why having that vintage guitar isn't your best investment. I'll ley Bill take over here.  

Hey musicians, you really want to learn how to put a real axe,amp rig and and solid effects pedal in one package to get the tone you want, just head over to Bill's Guitar World blog and his personal site as well.

http://www.guitarworld.com/are-you-being-held-hostage-your-guitar

www.williambaeck.com


Below is the article:

Question: Most players can't really afford vintage guitars and amps for their playing, so what's your best suggestion as far as them buying a solid axe and amp for the music they
play?

Answer: Popular guitars, such as the Les Paul and Strat, come in a wide range of models and prices. Similarly, if you’re looking for a 20-watt, non-master volume amp with a 12-inch speaker, there are a gazillion on the market. Familiarize yourself with the different versions of the kind of guitar and amp that appeal to you and then buy used or on sale. Pretty simple, really.

That’s because we live in a time when well-made guitars have never been more affordable, even as old guitars just keep getting more expensive. I love the vintage stuff. I truly do. But it didn’t cost that much when I was buying years ago. I only spent $800 on my ‘66 Tele and matching ‘66 Deluxe Reverb back when I bought them. These days I’d have to add an extra zero on the end to buy that same setup. And no way could I justify spending that much.

The trick is, finding what makes you happy within the budget you have.

I think you can find a good playing, fine sounding guitar and amp on nearly any budget—if you’re willing to look. Begin by figuring what your budget is. It doesn’t matter whether it’s $300 or $3000, as long as you start by thinking “What do I really need?”

Since your question implies folks who lean towards vintage instruments, let me use that as an example. Nowadays most manufacturers make vintage reissue or vintage-inspired guitars and amps at a variety of price points. So you can start there. Fender for example makes vintage-style Strats ranging from Squiers up through Masterbuilt Custom Shop models. After the first $200 - $300 you begin paying more for the increasing quality of the fit, finish, and components.But some of these you may never notice. An AAAAA flame maple top doesn’t sound any different than a plain one.

While some folks aren’t happy with less than a top-of-the-line handmade instrument, I know of people regularly gigging with guitars that cost under $100 new. The buskers here in London use the least expensive guitars and amps, yet their equipment seems to hang in there year after year, even being played outside in the rain and snow.

So broaden your horizons when you go guitar shopping. Remember, it doesn’t have to be a copy of a specific vintage guitar to have a vintage vibe. Some great new designs manage to incorporate a great old feel.

Let me give you an example. Several years ago Fender’s Squier ‘51 solid-body electric was selling new for as little as $69. These Squiers are influenced by the ‘51 Precision Bass, but with belly and forearm contours and a Telecaster neck. The neck profile on these remind me of old Fender Broadcasters, big and round. Moreover, their pickups are gritty and cut well through a mix, with a distinctive sound that’s great for blues and rock. The whole guitar has a vintage look and feel to it and you could have had one then for the price of a cheap guitar pedal.

A side benefit of owning vintage guitars is that I’m well past believing that the only good instruments are old ones. I’ve played a lot that frankly sucked. I remember going into Guitar Center in San Francisco and seeing a 50’s Stratocaster that had been played so long and hard that the treble side of the neck had worn away, leaving bare frets sticking out. It was “on sale” for $45,000. There is no way that guitar was as playable as a Squier ‘51.

For better or worse, prices for vintage instruments are based on originality, historical importance, rarity, popularity, and condition...not directly on how they play, sound, or last. In other words, their value is based on how much people are willing to pay for it. That’s all.

If I could give another piece of advice, it would be “once you have a decent, reliable guitar, the best place to put your money is in a good amp.”

Unless you’re specifically going for that “Les Paul into an AM radio” sound, even a cheap guitar into a good amp will sound better than a good guitar into a cheap amp. So if I had $500 to spend on a rig, I might spend $200 on the guitar and $300 on the amp.



Question: From CGP: The players I've met through the years have been blues guys mainly from here in Canada and the US Northeast. They tend to buy 60's and 70's based guitars and amps because they tend to capture the tone they need for the music they play. What are your thoughts on that?


Answer: Well, you’ve basically described me, except I’m from California. My favorite electric sounds originated around Chicago in the 50s and 60s. And I admit to owning Fender guitars and amps from that period. The best pre-CBS Fenders I've played have felt and sounded better to me than the best new ones. But unless you're rich or an investor, I don't think the $5,000+ prices on these instruments are justified in terms of mere playability.

On the other hand, and although there are always lots of exceptions, the worst Gibsons and Fenders that I’ve played have been from the late 60’s to the late 70’s. I’ve played too many 10-pound Strats with wobbly necks, thick plastic finishes, and thin-sounding pickups, and Gibsons with narrow necks and plastic saddles to be a fan of this period. Unless it was an exceptional example of a 70's guitar, I'd take a new one over those any day.

I guess what I'm saying is that you don’t need a vintage guitar or amp to sound great. But you might want one to inspire you to play great, if that makes sense.

Over the years I’ve noticed that what appeals to people about guitars and amps isnot merely the objective elements that make them up, it’s the emotional appeal as well. It’s not just about the sounds that come out of these instruments. It’s a mix of clear cut criteria such as reliability and the feel of the guitar’s neck in your hand. But it’s also about subjective elements, sometimes even illogical things like looks (honestly, would you want to play a pink Hello Kitty Tele through an iPad in your Muddy Waters tribute band—no matter how good it sounded?).

Guitar playing is part of a tradition, and we are all affected by that. We like playing what our heroes played.

Buying a guitar and amp needs to take into account not just that they’ll perform reliably for years with a good sound but that they’ll also inspire you to play your best. Let me give you a simple example. The other day I was playing my Squier Bullet Strat through the free Garage Band software on my Mac, and sending the output via Bluetooth to the standalone speakers on my TV.

Like most folks, my computer, software, and speakers were things I already owned.So the total cost of my “rig” was just $70 for the Strat. This incredibly cheap setup plays fine and sounds pretty good.

On the other hand, I have a 1952 Tele that I can plug into a late tweed Princeton.Although primitive, this is probably a more reliable rig, ancient as it is. It also sounds better to my ears. But the biggest difference is that it is far, far more inspiring to play. Even after many years of owning this pair, I still think to myself “Oh Lord, I’m actually playing a ‘52 Tele into a ‘59 Princeton! How cool is that?”

I think it’s great if you can afford it and want to buy vintage guitars and amps.And having played and owned some, I really do prefer them, but mostly for emotional reasons. I like the tangible connection it gives me to the music I love. I don’t know if it makes me play any better, and I certainly don’t think anyone else would notice a difference, but I do know it makes me happier, which is ultimately the reason I play guitar in the first place.

So to sum it up, you need basic, reliable gear to create good music. The rest is whatever it takes to inspire you, and that’s an individual choice.

No comments: