Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bass Playing 101 and the scourge of my down-picking



Picture of Jack Bruce from Cream--Eric Clapton's Band


I love it! I've had so many negative comments on the article about learning the bass and down picking only, especially for beginners. Even the best bottom-feeders out there have commented and seem to think I'm just whacked out, and think that using a combo of up and down-stroking is the only way to being a consummate Bottom Feeder.

I disagree whole heartedly and naturally. Players from Bass players to lead guitarist's emailed me, just livid and thought I was out of my gord just down-picking only.


Think what you want--but the best way to build a solid foundation as a Bass player is to build from the bottom up. What I mean is get used to just picking the strings whether with a pick or without. Learn how to pick and fret properly.
If you start using alternating up and down-strokes you tend not become a better player, but a scattered bass player who's all over the place technique wise.



Still think I'm nuts. You know you do. Keep the negative comments coming. I'm not a music forum or chat hound. I stay away from that stuff. All I know is becoming a good Bottom-Feeder is to start by down-picking only.



As well, learning to pick strings with great dexterity is tougher than you think.
That's why time and patience is required as a bass player. Be willing to make mistakes too and play through those mistakes and keep trudging on.



Once you are able to down-stroke well with a number of songs, about 5 to 10 at the most-go to a local blues jam session and play songs you know before trying any tougher ones. it only stands to reason. So get a feel of playing with others as well to learn when to play and at what tempo.



Learn all you can from local Bass players and other musicians who you think would be willing to help you. Offer to pay for lessons, or if you're a writer like me write an article on them and set up a blog to help musicians.


You have to give before you get guys.


One other area I find a lot of players have a tough time with is learning how to set up their amps and guitars. What I mean is tone wise and in away that meshes with how everyone else is setting up their amps and guitars.


What I'm saying is setting up your amps and guitar properly, not perfectly.


So find a good mentor who's either a fellow Bottom-Feeder or lead guitarist who can take you under their wing and show you the ropes of building a solid foundation as a great bottom feeder.

Mark Grove

No comments: