Friday, July 17, 2015

Blues Harp Done Like He Means It! Learn From This And Play Your Ass Off Guys

This Toronto based bluesman and harp player sent me a video. Actually he had responded to an ad I had on Kijiji.ca, which is similar to good old Craigslist. I'm always a little guarded when it comes to helping musicians.

First of all, I looked at wrong video, which was a video of a guy playing electronic music. I don't mind Tangerine Dream or progressive rock and electronic material, but it's not my strong suit. I'm a true blues rock and roller with a hankering for blues,"the music that matters the most." At least to me.

Hell, I could still have the wrong video, and look like a fool on the net. Yeah, like that's never happened. 

I'm just doing a short review on this. Tell me what you think of this guy. I enjoyed it because he wasn't trying to play too fine, or get every note right. he played basically the same riffs throughout, but he was focused on the song, and play it like he meant it.

In the this short video which I implore you to watch, he's playing a Fender Strat if I'm correct. And he's got a a sharp sounding Harp which he just grooves on like crazy!

He plays this song with a bluesy,grinding feel on the notes. He's more than likely using an amp where he set it up just to break up a little and give it an overdrive feel. If you're a music lover and understand influences in music,especially roots based music, you'll see a bit of a Tom Petty like feel and infusion from his vocals and guitar work. he plays like a bass player and with a  slice of old melodic blues to boot.

Thanks Tim, I'll get back to you soon.

Mark

No comments: