Saturday, March 5, 2016

Old Vinyl Albums And Writing About Music And Gear That Warms The Vintage Soul

Old Vinyl Albums And Writing About Music And Gear That Warms The Vintage Soul

By the way the pic below is David Crosby,Eric Clapton and Joni Mitchell in Laurel Canyon somewhere.
Clapton is studying Joni's playing with intense fervor. Or it's something else all together. Who knows. 
Why I love to write about music,musicians and gear. Frankly it makes me feel alive! Especially going to see a live blues or rock band. But I've always found that musicians from the 60's and 70's have always been able to create music that has a hipness and quality today's musicians can't ever hope to achieve. That's unfortunate. I know one thing though, I plan on adding to my vinyl record collection and I'm going to buy a new old turntable from the 70's. That's a listening experience you can't top. Actually putting the tonearm down on an old vinyl album, and capturing warm,vintage analog tones done by musicians who cared.
I think that today's music on CD, DVD, what ever is too processed and has ruined what music was suppose to be about. My stereo is old hat definitely. An Hitachi Receiver from the 80's, an old Onkyo Tape deck from 85,' with a Sharp 7 Band EQ and 15 watt no name speakers. You don't need 50 or 100 watt speakers guys. I remember a friend in the 70's who used a Traynor 50 watt speaker cabinet for his stereo. We abused that thing yet it was a bloody tank. I find that by tweaking my receiver and EQ settings along with where I place my speakers, I get plenty of power without distorting the hell out of it!
There's a tip right there for old audiophiles and musicians wanting better tone at lower levels.
Ever wonder why there's such a run on the practice guitar amp market today with amps that run anywhere from 5 watts to 30? Because you can get plenty of power and better tone at lower levels guys. This bodes very well for club gigs and studio session work, without having to lug in a big Marshall Half Stack.
By the way I bought an old 1980 Technics Turntable. Hard to believe I'm calling something from 1980,old. That's 36 years past.
I love rock n' roll and blues, and the only way I would ever give it up is if I can't hear anything anymore, or I kick the bucket. I love this business! Tell me what cha' think. It won't hurt me a bit. Well maybe, I kinda like it. Much success musicians.

No comments: