Saturday, August 15, 2015

Why I Think Musicians Need To Learn Recording To Analog First--Before Using The Silly Digital Recording Devices

                                                                                                                                                          Funny thing happened on the weekend...
Musicians can relate to this obviously. I had a couple of old dual tape decks I bought in 1985 and was giving them away to musicians at a local blues jam session. If you don't know they can used to record rough analog mixes of "on the spot" recorded material. I didn't get any takers after my little spiel on stage and talking about my website as well.
But the ones who did talk to me complained that they recorded digitally only and that old school tape decks weren't " in vogue" anymore. I beg to differ obviously. That's fine, they can think and do what they want.
Who am I to say. But I think recording analog style with a basic old tape deck,old mixer and yes good old "Shure" mics are a great way to improvise and be creative recording right off the floor. It will also teach you the basics of recording without resorting immediately to the digital realm.
if you really want to go the extra analog recording mile, record it without a mixer. Doing simple things like tweaking your mike placement and distance,tweaking your amp and guitar settings as well play into all this. I think knowing how to do that will make you a better musician in the studio and onstage.
I'm a big fan of Eddie Kramer who's well known as recording Hendrix and many other top players from the 60's and 70's. He doles out great recording tips on his Facebook page for players, as well as having great old photos of players he recorded over the years.
Eddie is even more in demand these days endorsing effects pedals and being a recording consultant to not just the big players, but musicians just coming up. If you really want to learn recording, Eddie's your guy.
Oh, before I go here I came across an interview with Roger Mayer who created some of the first widely marketed fuzz and effects pedals that the top players used back in the 60's--and he did an interview with Guitar Player Magazine a while back on how he set up The guitar sound for Jimi Hendrix. Fascinating article for musicians who want to learn how to set up their gear properly for the sound they want. The link is below this.
I guess I've said enough of my drivel. Now get your ass over to both these links and learn from Eddie and from Roger. Roger and Eddie are both still very active in music. Eddie in recording and Roger effects pedals. These guys dole out the nuggets of info players should use and don't.
Now get yer ass over to these links!

No comments: